Monday, March 22, 2010

The Kamikaze Redfish

Fishing trips can sometimes be memorable not because of the number or size of fish landed, but because something totally unexpected happens. About 40 years ago I was fishing off the north end of Anclote Key. My gear consisted of a live shrimp suspended beneath a bobber, on medium spinning tackle. I always enjoyed fishing with a bobber because I liked the way it would twitch slightly, and then descend beneath the surface as a fish took the bait. When that happened on this trip I set the hook with gusto, and the mono, which was probably 5 years old, parted just above the bobber. Since the bobber started to cruise along slowly, it was clear that I had hooked the fish. I quickly tied on a 52M Mirrolure and made a cast trying to snag the line below the bobber. There was an immediate hookup and, recognizing the frailty of my tackle, I gingerly brought the fish to the boat. I then netted a 20 inch Redfish. When I examined it I found that my lure was clamped firmly in its mouth, right next to my shrimp! So I had caught the one that got away, before it actually got away.

No comments:

Post a Comment